Anglican Ministry commenced in the Mittagong area during the 1850s.
In 1873, David Smith, Manager of the Fitzroy Iron Works donated one acre of land on which St. Stephen's Anglican Church was to be built, in the middle of town, on the Old Hume Highway. This remains our site today.
In 1876, the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Barker, and the present church building, designed by architect Edmund Blackett, was opened in 1878.
During the 1880s, a wooden church hall was constructed on this site, and a branch church, St. Pauls, was established in Colo Vale.
In 1928 the church was expanded in size by a third to reach its present size. During this time Mittagong remained a small township in which almost everyone knew everyone else.
In 1958, a Moore College Mission was held, resulting in many locals coming to faith in Christ.
Talk about replacing the wooden hall began in the 1930s, although it wasn't until 2006 that work commenced on a new ministry centre. The extension, finished in 2007, replaced both the old hall and the foyer with one building, connected to the heritage church building, and featuring facilities such as an auditorium (used for our 9.30am and 6pm services, among many other activities), meeting rooms, a commercial kitchen, church offices and a foyer.
In the last few years, the church has grown, with over three hundred people attending each Sunday at our 4 services, as well as many attending other groups for adults, seniors, youth and children.
Our Parish comprises the town of Mittagong and the main Northern Villages of Colo Vale, Hilltop and Yerrinbool as well as a number of smaller villages, and we have people attend church from all over the Southern Highlands.
For over a hundred and forty years, Christians have met together in the Mittagong Area to praise God, read his word and encourage each other. This continues to today.