Getting married? St. Stephens is a beautiful and meaningful place to hold your wedding. Our full-time ministers conduct weddings. To enquire, please contact us.
The cost for weddings is $850. This includes use of the church, minister’s preparation time with the couple, and provision of an organist for the wedding service, and flowers for the church.
The deposit is $100. After the deposit is paid, the remaining $750 should be finalised at least a week before the wedding. You can pay by cash or cheque or by direct deposit to the church bank account. Please ask us for details.
We ask that you attend at least three church services before the wedding. As you are getting married in a church and making promises before God we encourage you to come and experience what our church is like. You might like to attend our sunday services which are at 8am, 9.30am, 11am or 5pm.
If you live a distance away from the church you arrange with one of our ministers to attend a church near you that they recommend.
This will be confirmed when you place a $100 deposit with the minister. This is refundable if you change your arrangements and is charged because some couples have changed their minds about the date, venue or even getting married and neglected to let the church know.
We ask that people do not throw confetti or rice in the church or the church grounds.
The organist will play suitable music before the service, as the bride enters, during the signing of the register and as the wedding party departs. The organist will also play hymns if you wish to have them as part of your service.
Our excellent sound system will also play music from CDs or memory sticks if you wish to have other music.
Some reasons to get married in our church building
The advantages of getting married in a church in the beautiful Southern Highlands are many.
- Many of the churches are historical and were built in the 1800s. St Stephen’s Anglican at Mittagong was built in 1878.
- Our church has a long aisle and the pews can be decorated with either church supplied ribbons or ones that people make themselves. A bride coming down the aisle to the majestic sounds of our pipe organ makes a grand entrance.
- The weather can change very quickly in the Highlands (We remember conducting a wedding in November where the temp was 30 degrees the day before and 8 degrees on the day). Our church provides a venue that is sheltered from the rain and the cold.
- The acoustics are good inside and as well as the pipe organ we have an electric keyboard and a sound system that can play CDs.
- We have a large foyer and plentiful parking in our car park and nearby streets.
- Our toilets are modern and clean and we also have a disabled toilet and baby change facilities. We have level access for prams and wheelchairs.
- There is a driveway at the front where a number of wedding vehicles can park in the front of the church. Often wedding parties take photos at the front of our picturesque church building.
- At our church we use an Anglican form of service which provides a very appropriate sense of solemnity for the serious occasion, but we are also flexible about other aspects of the service so a couple can work with the minister to craft a service to suit their own particular tastes and style. People make their promises and vows before each other and the congregation and also before God. We offer marriage preparation and also encourage couples to come to our Sunday church services at least a couple times before their wedding.
Our policy is that only ministers of St Stephens can do the weddings at our church. This is because we have had some difficult experiences when another minster has come in to the do the wedding. It seems that when this occurs people felt free to move and change the church furniture.
Wedding parties have thus moved church furniture and caused the church considerable expense in repairing our sound and audio visual system as they did not know what they were doing, and damaged it by accident.
So our policy is that we do the weddings, so we can be on hand to supervise all the arrangements in the building.
However it is possible for one of our ministers to conduct the wedding and for a different minister to be the speaker at the service and some other parts of the wedding.